Stacey Day

Yesterday was Stacey Day.  It’s OK that you weren’t aware.  It was a sort of last minute decision on my part as well.  But, it was a much needed day.  I’ve been worn out lately and extra busy and craved downtime and sleep.  I wanted time to myself.  So, I checked with the in-laws and left the kiddo and dog in their care for the day.

By 10:45 a.m. yesterday I was a free agent.  On the drive home from dropping my small brood off at my in-laws’ house, I stuck a homemade CD in the radio that is aptly titled “All-Time Favorite Songs.”  And I turned up the volume.  The CD is one of my favorites and includes everything from “Rocky Top” to “Gold Digger.”

When I got home, I had a bit of Honey Nut Cheerios Snack Mix (good stuff!) and a fortune cookie from the previous night’s Chinese takeout.  My fortune told me I’d have a very comfortable old age.  I decided I’d just take a comfortable day.  So, I painted my nails — both toe and finger with Sally Hansen’s “Raspberry Race” Insta-Dri nail polish.  (My mother-in-law told me about this line of nail polish, and I’ve fallen in love because it really does dry instantly.)  I watched an episode of “Rocco’s Dinner Party” and rooted for a high school culinary teacher to win.

Then, I got myself together and headed out the door with a plan of action.  I’d never been to a movie by myself.  In the past I thought it might be awkward, sad or lonely.  Lately I’ve thought it just sounded heavenly.  Maybe it’s because I don’t have much solo time these days.  Most of the time I even have company when I’m in the bathroom.  (Ahhhh, toddlerhood.)  But, I was determined to see a matinee of “Bridesmaids.”  I’d heard it was funny, and matinees are only $5, so I was up for it.

I stopped in at Target first to pick up a prescription, dog’s birthday gift (my dog and his brother will be 6 tomorrow; their party is tonight) and some pants for my husband.  I also found a shirt on clearance for $5 that I liked and snagged some Reese’s Pieces (my favorite!) to take with me to the movies.

I pulled into the parking lot of the theater about 10 minutes before the show started and found that there were maybe 20 other cars in the lot.  I bought my ticket for one, made a pit stop at the bathroom and then hit the snack counter for my nutritious buttered popcorn lunch.

I thought about myself as I was heading into the theater alone.  I realized that I’ve gotten more confidence in my 30s that I didn’t have a decade ago in my early 20s.  Before, I’d never thought to go to a movie alone because I’d wonder what people would think.  Now, I truly don’t care.  At the same time, I also understand that the kids working at the theater already think I’m an old person anyway.  Their opinion of me doesn’t make one bit of difference.  The kid who got my popcorn chatted with me about what movie I was seeing.  Maybe he felt sorry for me.  Maybe he was just nice.  Maybe he was curious what an old lady like me would be there to see.

Anyway, the theater wasn’t very full, as you might imagine for a 1:15 p.m. show on a Thursday.  There were two other ladies seeing the movie alone and then a pair of two women seeing it together.  I munched my popcorn, put my arms completely on both arm rests and enjoyed the movie.  True, it had some raunchy humor that I’m not a fan of, but overall I enjoyed it.  When I left, I held the door for the woman behind me who mentioned that she was glad to have come alone since her husband wouldn’t have liked it.  I commiserated with her and then headed to my car.

I got home just in time to catch up on some “So You Think You Can Dance” on the DVR and nap.  My parents stopped by bringing me some leftovers of my favorite pizza for my lunch today.  My husband texted that he was on his way home.

My evening included a dinner out with my husband which was long overdue.  We’ve sort of met each other coming and going this week and not had a chance to talk.  It was so nice to just reconnect without breaks in our conversation to tend to our kiddo.  I got a chance to look at him, listen to him and appreciate him once again.  That man is so stinking smart.  He was telling me about work, and I couldn’t be more impressed or more proud.

We ended the evening with a short visit with my in-laws who had a great day with Lexiana.  She was a happy, albeit tired, girl.  We headed home and got her in bed then had some quality time hanging out together before bed.

It was a nice Stacey Day.  I could have slept the entire day.  In fact, that sounded really good, but I also need some mental and emotional rest.  That’s exactly what I got.  I enjoyed myself.  I spent time just with Stacey.  For a few hours, I wasn’t a mom, wife or journalist.  I wasn’t a daughter, granddaughter or friend.  I was just me.  And it was glorious.  I will have to do it again sometime!

Follow me on Facebook!

Comments Closed

Comments are closed.