A day in the life

A couple of people have asked me lately about what I do and how I do it.  Per some requests, I’ve decided to do a day in my life post.

The alarm clock goes off at 5:30 a.m.  Usually we snooze until 5:45 a.m. then my husband gets up.  I lounge a bit longer, snuggle with the dog who jumps up in bed to join me and then we get up to see my husband off.  I let the dog out then head to the kitchen table where I have my daily devotion and prayer time.

Next up, I pour myself some cereal and head to the living room for 30 minutes of me-time.  I eat my cereal and watch something on the DVR that’s just for me.  Then I head to my office.  I spend the next two hours working.  I start with e-mail and a bit of social networking then move on to my to-do list.  I review items already on it and add to it whatever else has come up.

From Google Images

I then get cracking on what needs done for the day.  Some mornings that means writing an article or two.  Other mornings that means doing some research for an article.  Three times a week that means writing a blog post or two.  Still other mornings that means looking for potential writing assignments.  On pay days that can also mean I take a break from work (if I can) and work on our finances and bill paying.

Around 9 a.m. I get the kiddo up for the day.  Often she starts talking around 8:30 a.m., but she’s very content to lie in bed for a while and wake up slowly.  I get her dressed and we head to the dining room for breakfast of oatmeal or yogurt.  Many times I call my mom as we are finishing her breakfast.  Then I get my own self ready for the day.

After that, I usually pull out my laptop and check back in with e-mail and such.  This is done standing up in my kitchen so little fingers don’t try to type for me or pull the screen down to look for photos of a baby.  I have typed blog posts, work e-mails and occasionally articles during this time.

This is the point in which I throw in a load of laundry on some days or do any other small household chores that can’t wait.

By 11 a.m., I finish my chores and head to the living room to play with the kiddo.  While she rotates around me like the earth around the sun while I do anything, she definitely needs one-on-one time where I focus completely on her.  We read many books, sing songs and dance with Dance Star Mickey.

At 12:30 p.m., we head to the dining room for lunch for her.  While she’s eating her finger-food lunch, I do something nearby like empty the dishwasher or hop on the computer to check in.  We continue conversing.  When lunch ends, we head to her room for a diaper change, book, song and then nap-time.  I head back to the kitchen to make my own lunch.  Many days, I return to the living room for 30 more minutes of me-time.  This usually entails finishing whatever program I started during breakfast.

I then switch laundry to the dryer and return to my office.  Early afternoons are my best time to make calls.  My morning office hours are often before many people are in their offices.  I make calls that I need to.  Sometimes I have specific interviews scheduled; other times I’m calling to try and set interviews.  I review my to-do list and work on whatever is left on the list for the day.

By 3 p.m., the kiddo is up again.  I get her up and we head to the dining room for her to have a small snack.  Afterward, we play together.  I fold laundry if needed, and she “helps” me.  My husband gets home around 4:30 p.m., and I start on dinner.  While I cook, Lexiana alternates between rotating around me in the kitchen playing with her pot and toy food and playing with her dad.

By the time we eat and clean up, it’s usually 6 p.m. or after.  If we have evening errands, we go then.  Otherwise, we hang out as a family until the kiddo goes to bed at 8 p.m.  My husband and I get a bit of quiet time together before our bedtime.  We hit the hay.  I make sure the alarm is set for the next day to have it start all over again.

Follow me on Facebook!

Comments Closed

Comments are closed.