A challenging day

Today was one of those days.  It hasn’t been inherently bad; it hasn’t been inherently good.  It’s had some good challenges to say the least.

Sundays in general are hard for my daughter.  Our church service starts at 11 a.m., which is her usual nap time.  But she won’t sleep in the church nursery.  Way too much is going on!  Today we also had a birthday party to go to for my brother’s wife.  They live an hour and a half away, so we figured if we left right after church, Lexiana would cooperate and just sleep the whole way there.  Ha, ha, ha!  The joke is on us!

Having had five shots on Friday at her one-month checkup, our little girl is slightly out-of-sorts.  Instead of sleeping, she fussed the entire way there.  We stopped to eat figuring maybe she’d sleep better with a full belly.  Nope.

The long trip finally ended, and we arrived.  Lexiana was a happy girl for the two hours we spent at the party.  She played well with her cousins, the other children and the adults.  She drank some milk, ate a bite of a cookie and some baby cheese puffs.  She went down the inflatable slide with me.  By the time we left, it was her usual time for her second nap of the day.  After all the excitement, we figured she’d at least sleep the entire way back home.  Then she’d wake up when we arrived and have dinner.

Ha, ha, ha, again!  She was content for about the first 40 minutes.  And then the fussing started right up again.  By the time we got home, my husband suggested I carry her into the house instead of him.  Even my patience was starting to wear thin, and God gives mommies much more patience for dealing with fussing babies.

I heated up some leftover meatloaf and green beans from my mom.  My husband went straight to the couch for a nap.  He was too tired for dinner.  Usually when Lexiana and I sit down to eat together, I keep a conversation going.  I had no conversation to give this evening.  I picked up the newspaper from the table and perused it as we ate.  I was exhausted.

Then, I looked over and saw this face:

I stopped.  I smiled.  I remembered that the day may have been a challenging one, but it was just a day.  It was just a few hours of trying my patience.  I may not feel on top of my game all of the time, but I’m still in the game and wouldn’t change that.

Besides, now she is finally napping and all is at peace in my household — at least for the moment!

Comments Closed

Comments are closed.